My travels west of Chicago!

I have never ever been west of Chicago. I have always wanted to travel... so here we go to Nebraska! Home of windmills and prairie dogs!

Friday, June 11, 2010

Final Thoughts on Nebraska

Note the warning label on this bottle of wine..... it was one of the raffle prizes tonight at the farewell banquet.... Nebraskans do have a sense of humor.....
The people are amazingly resilient and are very, very down to earth and resourceful. Today while wandering around the fairgrounds, I ran into a group of people preparing for a Holstein cattle show. They brought them in and set up right behind our building. This was a scene that I found when I wandered into the barn. These children were so PROUD to show off their calf "Mooey". She was even in good humor with a ball cap on her head! Those cows are pretty darn tolerant too, as I saw several being washed with a POWER WASHER! I am pretty sure that my horses would never stand for that.

This is a common site along the country side. This is where they hook up the irrigation systems. Pat explained to me that the propane powers the generator to pump the water up, but once hooked up, the water actually powers the large irrigation operation. WOW... again, this shows the character of the farmers out here. I can't imagine the amount of work that must go into the growing a crop where rain is not all that common in the summer. They have to move the irrigation around, and cultivate often between the rows of crops. Ohioans have it relatively easy once the crops are planted.

Tomorrow we will head out on our way home. I have sure enjoyed this trip and have learned an awful lot about another part of our country. The windmillers were very welcoming and all were extremely helpful. I saw many of them lead around newbies and people who wandered on the scene and patiently explain how the mills work and why. I can honestly say I abandoned my purse, camera and cell phone for long periods at a time in the merchant hall and no one would dream of bothering any of it. The people are honest, hardworking, and not afraid to jump in and help one another. I sure wish more of America still shared those values.

No comments:

Post a Comment