My travels west of Chicago!

I have never ever been west of Chicago. I have always wanted to travel... so here we go to Nebraska! Home of windmills and prairie dogs!

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

You Scream, I Scream, We All Scream for ICE CREAM!


The day ended with ice cream, as you can see Patrick and Joan enjoying under an old Dempster windmill..... but I am getting ahead of myself.....

Where to begin? What a day! We started about 7 AM this morning for breakfast at the hotel and then headed up to the fair grounds. The place was hopping early! There were windmillers from all over the place. I saw many from as far as Texas, Alberta Canada, and Alabama. These people are serious! I think that Patrick sold two more windmills just like the ones I pictured in the last blog.
I spent a good part of the day in and out between the table inside and the wagon out. I was just trying to be an go-for and an extra body to allow for Patrick and Joan to do what they wanted or needed. The people are super friendly and many have teased me about being a newbie along.

This is a gorgeous shot of the prairie. It is just fantastic. I love that the sides of the roads are left mostly unmowed, so the natural prairie grasses are allowed to grow.

At the end of a LONG LONG day, we went to have dinner and then to an old fashioned ice cream social. They had this wonderful old engine to crank the ice cream. Wow, it was so good! I asked what was in it, and they shared that it had WHOLE MILK, HEAVY CREAM and HALF AND HALF! No wonder it was fantastic!


York has done a wonderful job on making everyone feel welcome. What a fantastic place to visit. Tomorrow I will add the video and explain about the operation of the windmills and irrigation in Nebraska.



No comments:

Post a Comment