My travels west of Chicago!

I have never ever been west of Chicago. I have always wanted to travel... so here we go to Nebraska! Home of windmills and prairie dogs!

Monday, June 7, 2010

"Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa." - Ray Kensella








We made it safely a little over half the distance to our final destination of Nebraska. We left this morning around 7:15 and made good time through Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. We took Route 30 to I 80 and had very little construction. I was surprised to see how agricultural it really is out this direction.
I got my turn driving the 'rig'... boy it was long. I was proud to say I only hit ONE curb as we went to eat lunch at McDonalds!
We continued on our way, and I finally saw the Mississippi! WOW.. it sure is big! I was amazed at how wide it really was, and honestly, according to the map, we did not cross at a particularly wide part. There was a pretty neat little welcome area right across the river into Iowa on I 80, so we stopped. They had an observation area where you could look outside and across. Very nice.
Once into Iowa, I was surprised at the change of topography. Some areas were perfectly flat and you could see forever. There were very few trees and large HUGE fields of corn planted. Other areas were much more rolling and hilly. It was actually hilly enough that they had wise swaths of grasses planted strategically in the fields to help prevent erosion. There were other areas where the crops were planted in contours as to help erosion. That was different to see other than our typical Ohio farm fields. Most of what we saw was no till as well. Trees were hit and miss. In some areas they seemed to be deliberately planted. There were large groves of wispy poplar trees too.
Dinner was at a great place called Village Inn... I ate way too much. The best part was this huge piece of pie that was French Silk on the top and caramel pecan on the bottom.. oh Lord! I think that I will have a salad tomorrow!
Tomorrow brings an early start to make the final leg of our trip. We anticipate making it to York before lunch time. The trade fair does not start until Wednesday, but I guess that some set up can be done early.

No comments:

Post a Comment