My travels west of Chicago!

I have never ever been west of Chicago. I have always wanted to travel... so here we go to Nebraska! Home of windmills and prairie dogs!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The TREES of Iowa



One thing that I did not really mention much last night was how different the TREES are here in Iowa! As mentioned, they seem to be deliberately planted in some areas and non existent in others. I am not sure if that is because they were cut down for farming or not. There are HUGE HUGE pines planted around the farm houses as windbreaks. The tops of them are all ragged and wispy with missing branches. There are many other trees that I had no idea what they were. I have spent a few minutes on a tree identification site, and have learned a little. We are seeing aspens, quaking pines, walnut, box elder and something called butternut (white walnut). It is very interesting to see the differences! It is safe to say, I have NOT seen a single Maple tree here, but read that they do exist.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/pages/tree/

No comments:

Post a Comment