My travels west of Chicago!

I have never ever been west of Chicago. I have always wanted to travel... so here we go to Nebraska! Home of windmills and prairie dogs!

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Paradise FOUND


So today was another day at the trade fair. It was VERY windy..downright GUSTY, really, but stayed somewhat cool out. The high was supposed to be 88 degrees, but I am sure it never got that warm. That is a blessing. I am not sure that I wanted another sun burn.
The best part of the day was going to visit Roger Bailey's ranch. I am not sure what else to call it. He lives outside of McCool, NE and has made a fortune as a bee keeper. He ships his bees all over the western part of the United States. He is also a HUGE windmiller..... I counted over 35 on his place. They are simply everywhere. (Side note: In order to get there, we had to drive outside McCool, like I mentioned. The roads in Nebraska and Iowa all are dirt, believe it or not. The main highways are not, but all of the country roads are. It seemed odd....)

Isn't this about the most beautiful thing you have ever seen? I am just amazed by the beauty of our country. I am sure that there are many more, but somehow this rural solitude has always spoken to me. From what I understand, Mr. Bailey has tried hard to maintain the feel of historic prairie on his property.





He lives up on a hill, and the view is spectacular! I just about lost my jaw. When we first arrived a bus was there to truck us up a hill and to his home. He has installed a PIPE ORGAN in his house! He had a gentleman there to play a recital and then we were free to wander and explore his place. He had a neat view, as I mentioned. I was blown away almost literally by the wind. He has a 20 foot windmill installed at his pond that pumps water from a well into the pond. It was pretty cool to see how the windmills were really supposed to work! WOW.

Dinner was a low key affair... it was in his airplane hanger. He flew them out somewhere else so he could fit all 300 of us in.... again.... wow.

Maybe I should get into bees?!

No comments:

Post a Comment